Saturday, September 30, 2006

St Wenceslas Day

September 28th is St Wenceslas's day, and the Czechs have a public holiday to celebrate their patron saint, Wenceslas I, Duke of Bohemia. I often pass a really striking church which is dedicated to St Wenceslas and was built to commemorate his 1000th anniversary in 1929.

St Wenceslas's day was on Thursday and I had no lessons, although I managed to reschedule them to make up for the lost time. On this holiday the public transport runs to a Sunday timetable, and the big shops are open. The smaller shops were closed, but I was prepared for this and had stocked up on essentials.

We have had a real Indian Summer this September. The weather has been fine and warm most days. Thursday dawned chilly and misty and I thought we had seen the last of the fine weather. Fortunately the mist cleared and the sun came out later in the day.

I spent the late morning and early afternoon visiting the Czech Air Force Museum which is located at an airbase in the northern suburbs. I took pictures, but haven't yet chosen the best ones. Watch this space.

No comments: