Sunday, January 14, 2007

Who knows where the time goes?

It's mid-January and I haven't written here since November! How did that happen?
Arno's recent comment reminded me that I need to write something here, and I have now managed to make some time to do that.

I spent some of my free time in December looking at the different events which happen here in Advent. There was St Nicholas's Eve, the Christmas Markets, an outdoor ice rink and vendors of live carp in the streets. I took pictures of these activities and have posted them to Flickr.

I went back to the UK for Christmas. Sue and I went to North Wales to spend Christmas, Sue's birthday and my cousin's son's wedding, then we went to the North-East of England for New Year. It was a busy time, but I managed to catch up with quite a few people.

Arriving back in Prague I was pitched straight into classes and mid-year assessments. I have tested the majority of my students, and have just over a week to complete all the reports. This means I have had a busy time so far this year.

After the rush is over I will tell you more about Prague and Czech life.

If you have any questions, post them as comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see that the real Father Christmas is still celebrated elsewhere other then Holland!

We don't have devils or angels when we celebreate on December 5 ; and if you've been a naughty boy you get a bag of salt (instead of something sweet) If you're really really naughty - you get taken to back to Spain (where St Nicholas lives) in St Nicholas' sack - which I always thought would be quite cool.. :-)

What does Carp taste like?

Mike Smith said...

Hi Arno, I'm glad you read the entry once you shamed me into updating the blog :)

According to Wikipedia Sinterklaas has an assistant called Zwarte Piet. Is this still so, or has Political Correctness done for him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

I tried carp on holiday here 15 years ago, but not recently. I can't remember the flavour but some folks here claim it tastes a bit 'earthy'.