Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A touch of frost

Yesterday morning there was a touch of frost. It's January, so why is this remarkable?
I've been checking the weather data for the Czech Republic and the average daily temperature for January is about -2° C. The daily maximum for January is normally about 2° C, but this winter we have had only a handful of frosty mornings since October, and we have had temperatures of over 10°C on many occasions.

Everyone has been telling me that last year the temperature barely rose above freezing from mid-November until April. This winter there is virtually no skiing in the whole country and the resort operators and winter sports fans are most unhappy. I think they're hoping that this winter is an aberration, but I wouldn't invest in winter sports in the long term.

I am indebted to Chris Gerhard for pointing me to the following video of a mountain biker on a ski jump! Maybe this is the way forward!

No comments: