Sunday, April 27, 2008

Open Top Cars

I was reading Brian Herman's blog earlier today and noticed that the banner photo is a MINI convertible. Brian has had his MINI for almost three years now, and he is really pleased with it.

I have one quibble, though. The car in the picture has the roof up. Surely the first rule of open-top cars is - "If it isn't raining (or snowing) the roof should be down!"

Although I have never owned an open-top car I have driven them on several occasions, and I have always followed this rule. I once spent a day in an MGB Roadster driving through Berkshire trying to avoid the rain showers. Unfortunately I couldn't dodge them all and was hit by a very heavy shower. By the time we had the roof up we were both completely soaked and everything inside was misted up. It was about 15 minutes before I could see out properly.

In a dry place like Colorado, and with a modern electric roof and air-conditioning this shouldn't be a problem so I do hope that Brian doesn't spend all his time driving with the roof up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Calling me out are you?! :-) My Mini dealer made me sign what they called the 80-20 contract. You are required to have the top down at least 80% of the time while motoring. In the fine print it does count to have the top rolled back in "sunroof mode" and have all 4 windows down.

I do make a point of trying to live up to the contract I signed. I drive top down at least once a month even in November through February.

The photo in question was taken of my car while parked about 200 yards up a hill from where we shared a picnic lunch filled with off and on sprinkles of rain, hence the top. :-)

I can tell you honestly I've only ever used the air conditioner when driving top-up in heavy motorway traffic where it's FAR too noisy and dirty and windy to go topless. In fact, owning the Mini has changed the way I drive... I used to be a very aggressive driver, taking nothing but highways and major arterials. Since buying the Mini I drive country roads, often at or below the speed limit, soaking up the sun and fresh air. I find I get home relaxed and smiling rather than stressed and frustrated. What a wonderful change!

Check out this photo and perhaps you'll see that I take my topless motoring seriously! :-)

http://www.theherman.org/graphics/2005_xmas_card.jpg

The horsepower is vastly overstated, but it's a fun photo none the less.

Mike Smith said...

Heh! I'm glad I drew you out of the woodwork! Love the photo, too!

Anonymous said...

Yup - even in the UK it's good to drive a convertible !

I have an Vauxhall Astra Convertible since September last year - and it rained on the first day I got it...

Brian is right - I too take the smaller twisty roads home when the roof is down - and yes - I love driving through town at a snails pace.