Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cycling Update

At the beginning of this year I decided to get back my fitness on the bike again. I have been quite successful so far, with a steady buildup over the months. There has been only one week when I haven't ridden at all.

I mentioned our four-day trip to Herefordshire at Easter. We didn't ride out there, but we managed to ride on the day we drove out there and the day we came home, so we did as much as our fitness allowed.

I saw a second-hand racing bike on the electronic notice board at work, so I checked it out and bought it. It is a Principia frame in aluminium with carbon forks, with Shimano 105 equipment. The bike is very lively and responsive, and I enjoy riding it. I have one niggle - I bought a new cassette to give me a lower bottom gear and it is difficult to adjust the rear mechanism so that it shifts cleanly into bottom without hitting the spokes.

Riding on weekdays is difficult at the moment. I live over forty miles from work so I can't commute by bike, and I am teaching on two evenings a week, but I have worked out a partial solution. I can take the bike to work in the back of the car and then ride home, leaving the car at work. I can then go to work by train the next day and then drive home that night.

I did this a couple of weeks ago before our Croatia holiday and it was quite successful. The ride home was 41 miles and I did it in just under 3 1/2 hours. I intend to do this once a week (weather permitting) until the end of term, and then step up to twice a week from the end of June. I should then be noticeably fitter and hopefully a bit lighter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike, sounds like a great bike! I'm still riding around on my early 90's vintage Bianchi (in the proper Celeste Green), which is decked out in Shimano 600 (pre-Ultegra) and Columbus steel. Down-tube shifting (but indexed). It has a straight block rear cassette which isn't great for attacking the Rocky Mountains, but it's a rocket on the rollers around town. After all these years and miles, it's still a great ride. Sometimes the old ways are the best.

Then again, a Trek Madone 6.9 might be fun too! http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/astana/bikes/

Mike Smith said...

Sounds like a great bike, but...
A Shimano gruppo on a Bianchi frame with Columbus tubing?

Sushi Bolognese!

Sorry, it has to be Campag!