Thursday, August 17, 2006

My first week teaching in Prague went well, all of my students are friendly and keen.

Sue came out for the weekend and on Saturday morning we explored my nearest major landmark, Vitkov Hill, just a few minutes from my flat. The hill is home to the Czech National Memorial and the world's largest equestrian statue, of Jan Žižka who gives his name to the Žižkov district where I live.
The hill is popular with joggers and people out strolling, and there are excellent views from here to the north and west. On descending the hill we passed the Military Museum, which I will save for a damp day in the winter, before taking the tram out of the city to the Divoká Šárka country park. We spent a few hours walking in the park before returning to the city for afternoon tea at the Cafe Slavia.

The Slavia used to one of the places to go in Prague, and after some uncertain times has been restored to its Art Deco grandeur.

On Sunday we took the tram to the old fortress of Vysehrad, which gaves us further views of the city from another perspective. I must go up the Žižkov TV tower sometime. This was built in the 1980s, allegedly to jam western TV transmissions as much as to transmit Czech TV, and is regarded by some as an eyesore. There are those who say that the TV tower has the best view in Prague, as it is the only place from which you can't see the TV tower.

Next week I will be teaching in a small town in Moravia. One of the school's students is taking an intensive off-site course, and I will be teaching the first week. My fellow teachers have been giving me great assistance in preparing for this amount of work. I am looking forward to it, but am feeling slightly nervous and a bit daunted at the prospect.

No comments: