Monday, February 26, 2007

Places To Go - Grand Cafe Orient

When I first visited Prague in 1991 all the guidebooks said that the place to go for coffee was the Slavia cafe overlooking the river near the National Theatre. Sadly in 1991 Slavia was closed for refurbishment. I have been there a few times since I came out here this year, but for me it no longer has the combination of elegance and relaxation which I associated with it. It seems busy and touristy and the staff aren't really attentive enough.

A few months ago one of Sue's work colleagues asked if we had been to the coffee house at the Cubist Museum. We hadn't, but checked it out based on his recommendation. The museum is near the Old Town Square, and the Grand Cafe Orient is on the first floor of the museum. The building itself is a prime example of Czech Cubist architecture, and the cafe and its furnishings reflect that.

In addition to the visual splendour, the service is excellent, and although it gets busy at weekends it feels quite relaxed on weekdays. Sandwiches and salads are available for lunch, but for me it is best for light breakfasts or afternoon coffee and cakes.

No comments: