Thursday, May 29, 2008

New Toy

I have been thinking of getting a quiet low-power PC to replace my file server at home. After a bit of looking around this system fitted the bill. My system isn't quite the same as the one in the link as they appear to have replaced the Celeron 220 CPU with an Atom during the last few days. I guess it's axiomatic that any PC is obsolete as soon as it ships.

The system is designed to run Windows Home Server but I got a £50 discount for discarding that. The system has two 500GB disk drives and 1GB of RAM so it is an ideal platform to run an OpenSolaris server with everything mirrored across the two disks using ZFS. The basic installation went very smoothly. All I need to do now is make some minor tweaks to the network configuration and set up my ZFS filesystems.

Future plans for the system include setting up an IMAP server, adding SlimServer software to stream music, and getting a GPS receiver so that I can run a stratum 1 clock (NTP timekeeping projects are what allows me to buy new toys at the moment).

2 comments:

Brian Herman said...

Mike, how is it that having an accurate clock on the system will allow you to buy more toys? Are you making a living being an internet time cop? And how is your Taris anyway?

Mike Smith said...

I'm not an Internet time cop (don't even play one on the net)) but I am advising some people on NTP. Having my own stratum 1 will let me experiment a bit.
I could do with a Tardis, my study is getting a bit cluttered.
BTW Do you get the current "Dr Who?" series over there? How about Torchwood?